Emerging Composers Partnership
Applications are now closed.
The next round of applications will open on August 1, 2020.
Click to download: TCP Emerging Composers Application
Third Coast Percussion (TCP) will choose a composer to collaborate with in the composition of a new work for percussion quartet.
The winning composer(s) will:
- Compose a piece for TCP to be premiered at a mutually agreed upon date in May or June of the 2020-21 concert season. The work must not have been performed before in any context.
- Compose a work limited to 4 percussionists, at a duration not to exceed 15 minutes
- Receive a high quality live performance recording from the premiere of the new work to be used by him/her upon approval of TCP.
- Attend (3) three workshop rehearsal sessions with TCP in which the sketches of the new work can be explored with the ensemble
- Attend the premiere performance of the work on a TCP Chicago Concert Season concert
- Help TCP in promotion for the premiere performance
- Receive an honorarium of $1,500. Please note that no travel or housing costs will be provided
Third Coast Percussion will:
- Workshop the new work with the composer leading up to its Chicago premiere
- Perform the new work on a concert in Chicago, HOWEVER holds the right to delay the premiere performance for any reason
- Provide the winning composer(s) with a live performance recording or a recording of the work performed in the Third Coast Percussion studio
The next deadline for applications will be October 31, 2020.
*Applications will be available on August 1st each year.
*Applications will only be considered if ALL guidelines are met.
*There is no entry fee.
Each composer must submit ALL of the following material in order to be considered:
- One recording representative of compositional style uploaded to SoundCloud. May be MIDI or live, but a live recording is encouraged when possible.
- One score representative of compositional style. A score containing writing for percussion is not required, but is encouraged. Please submit scores in pdf format. Do not submit Finale or Sibelius files. Physical scores will not be accepted.
- Completed questionnaire (included in application pdf at top of this page).
- One page resumé including: education, previous composition experience, highlighted major performances of works, other pertinent information.
…and each composer may submit ANY of the following optional material:
- One additional representative recording (marked “additional recording”) and/or one additional score (marked “additional score”).
- One page artistic statement that outlines your goals as an artist and your compositional style.
- Letter of recommendation addressing musicality, professionalism, previous compositional experience, and likelihood of success in this project.
All application materials must be submitted electronically and should be e-mailed to: [email protected]
Previous ECP Composers
2013-2014 season: Ben Hjertmann
2014-2015 season: Jonathan Pfeffer
2015-16 season: Danny Clay
2016-17 season: Katie Young, Annika Socolofsky, José Martínez
2017-18 season: Timothy Page, Ayanna Woods
2018-19 season: Hunter Ewen, Amanda Feery
2019-20 season: Robyn Jacob and Andys Skordis