(click on the above link to download a pdf of the current application)
TCP is excited to accept applications for the third season of our Emerging Composers Partnership! The goal of this project is to connect young composers with professional performers in a meaningful collaborative experience. Hands-on collaboration is essential for the success of a composer writing for percussion because of the vast array of instruments and endless range of possible techniques employed to play them. With the demand from soloists, chamber groups, large ensembles, and educational institutions for new and artistically meaningful works for percussion ever increasing, we believe that composing for percussion is vital to the success of a contemporary composer. This project will expand the repertoire for percussion quartets, allow composers to gain exposure through the highest quality performance, and provide the Chicago contemporary music scene with premieres of works from the brightest rising stars in the composing community.
– Third Coast Percussion (TCP) will choose a composer to collaborate in the composition of a new work for percussion quartet
– TCP will workshop the new work with the composer leading up to its Chicago premiere
– An honorarium will be provided to the winner, however no travel or housing costs will be provided
– Instrumentation of the new work is limited to 4 percussionists, and duration of the piece will not exceed 15 minutes (see specific details listed below)
– Application deadline for the 2015-2016 season is October 31st, 2014 (see specific application requirements below)
The winning composer(s) will:
· Compose a piece for TCP to be premiered at a mutually agreed upon date in the 2015-2016 concert season. The work will not have been performed before in any context.
· Receive a high quality live performance recording from the premiere of the new work to be used by him/her upon approval of TCP.
· Attend (3) three workshop rehearsal sessions with TCP in which the sketches of the new work can be explored with the ensemble
· Attend the premiere performance of the work on a TCP Chicago Concert Season concert
· Help TCP in promotion for the premiere performance
· Receive an honorarium of $1000
There is no entry fee.
Each composer must submit ALL of the following material in order to be considered:
· One recording representative of compositional style. May be MIDI or live, but a live recording is encouraged when possible.
· One score representative of compositional style. A score containing writing for percussion is not required, but is encouraged. Please submit scores in pdf format. Do not submit Finale or Sibelius files. Physical scores will not be accepted.
· Completed questionnaire (included in application pdf at top of this page )
· One page resumé including: education, previous composition experience, highlighted major performances of works, other pertinent information
and may submit ANY of the following optional material:
· one additional representative recording (marked “additional recording”) and/or one additional score (marked “additional score”)
· One page artistic statement that outlines your goals as an artist and your compositional style
· Letter of recommendation addressing musicality, professionalism, previous compositional experience, and likelihood of success in this project
All application materials must be submitted electronically and should be e-mailed to:
Please reference the Q & A section at the end of the application for further information.